[GSBN] Nominations

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Mon Aug 30 04:09:30 UTC 2010

Dear all,

Last Sunday a nomination was made and was accepted in less than 30 minutes
by Bill without a second.  This is the first time to my knowledge that a
nomination has been accepted without a second.  I've communicated with Bill
off-list, and I understand from him that nominations historically had all
been approved (with one exception) and that approvals had become just a
matter of course.  His next few days were going to be very busy, so he made
the decision to approve it without a second.  (Bill correct me if I'm wrong
on any of this.)

My own opinion is that we should maintain the protocol of requiring seconds,
but if the group thinks otherwise, then the will of the group should govern.
But I do think this should be settled as a group, and it seems to me we need
to choose one of the following:

* Nominations require a second (as I believe they always have) (or did they
require a third in earlier years?)
* They are automatically approved by virtue of nomination by someone on this
list.
* The list host (to date Bill) makes the decision to approve (with or
without a second)

Thanks.

Martin Hammer