[GSBN] SB Overhangs

Graeme North graeme at ecodesign.co.nz
Thu Aug 26 05:37:22 UTC 2010

Dear all

Thanks for the discussion.

There are many things to consider, but it seems to me that moisture
vulnerable plasters such as earthen ones must have good overhangs for
durability reasons.

The external water penetration issue needs to be carefully separated
from issues of plaster durability - this point is very important.

The NZ Building Code puts these in quite different sections and the
table I have given you deals with external moisture and always, in
practice,  over-rides any requirement for any overhangs to meet
durability requirements of earthen materials.

Leaks occur at joinery openings, cracks,  and many other
penetrations, so I agree with Martin and would argue  for good
overhangs as a sound building design strategy in all strawbale
buildings that are direct plastered, and yes in a prescriptive way
as a means of meeting performance requirements.
Then flashing details, and other details, joinery details, drips and
sills, etc along with plaster mixes need to be devised that will cope
with what (much smaller and less energetic)  amounts of moisture
still reach the walls.

The performance criteria is simple - keep the straw dry.
A standard is helpful if it gives guidance as to how this can be
achieved.

Eaves widths may be adjusted to suit  site-specific parameters such
as rainfall, humidity, incidence of wind-driven rain, and local
sheltering effects.  Personally I prefer to sleep at night  and tend
towards the bigger the better when it comes to eaves.  Conservative
maybe, but I don't apologize for that in this context.

(My conservatism in this instance can not and must not in any way be
construed to think that I would have voted for Bush, even if I could
have, and even if hell had frozen over.   No no no!)

The table I have suggested works really well in the sub-tropical high-
humidity wind-driven-rainy (1.5 - 2m p/a) sort of mess we live in.

It may prove a good starting point for strawbale eaves that other
climatic areas can work from.

Even so I would tend to suggest an absolute minimum roof overhang to
exposed wall height of 1:4 or 600 mm (2 ft) over a 2.4 m (8ft) high
wall, or 900 (3ft )over a 3.6 m (12ft) high wall - including at gable
ends.

Two storey walls may need an intermediate skirt roof as per the
Japanese example given.

Ground clearance to prevent splash up also needs to be dealt with -
good boots and a good hat never went astray.

Enough for tonight

Graeme
Graeme North Architects
49 Matthew Road