[GSBN] SB Overhangs

Bob Theis bob at bobtheis.net
Thu Aug 26 02:54:36 UTC 2010

Hello All,

Based on my experience with clay plasters on bale walls in northern
California,  it seems like mandating protective overhangs  -
specifically for clay plasters  - is a good idea.

  With a material as soft as clay plaster,  the standard notions of
how much overhang is enough are, fundamentally, inadequate.  I've had
earth plasters that,  in spite of sealers and rooflets on the gable,
have had their finished surface on the lower wall eroded off in a few
years' time, because I simply didn't know the wind-driven rain from
that direction would be so strong.

  John Straube showed a combined wind and rain rose in a talk years
ago, showing where the rain blows in from over the year.  I'm still
wishing they were readily available. If they were, it would make
decreeing what measures to use where a great deal simpler.  ( And I
wouldn't have a plaster repair to schedule. )

Worse,  a LOT of designers carry notions about overhangs not having
that "edgy" look they cling to, and that hubris has no place with
this material.

Since we are arguing for Codes that reflect long-term thinking, this
is a good example of doing just that.

What should be mentioned in the standard is that armoring the lower
wall with something more weather-resistant is an available option to
reduce the height to overhang ratio. It's an approach I am
increasingly using. Ground splash can do a lot to the walls,  even
when the overhang is generous.

Bob