[GSBN] Lightweight concrete roofs

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Tue Jun 22 18:01:03 UTC 2010

Hi, Andy,

I think the insulation value of a thin-shell concrete roof would be
roughly zero.  The R-value 3/8" thick concrete with a little latex
isn't worth calculating into the insulation equation.  Short of sprayed
on insulation, I think attaching anything to the underside of the roof
would be a losing proposition.  I wonder if wet-sprayed cellulose would
stick reliably.  I'm guessing no, on the "reliably" part.  Otherwise,
building a ceiling, and insulating above the ceiling, makes most sense
to me.  Like any impermeable membrane, the underside of this roof will
be a potential site for condensation.

According to my memory of reading George and Albert's book, they liked
using fiberglass (window) screen material for a few properties- low
cost, high strength, fine, but not too fine hole size/spacing, high
proportion of open area in the mesh, resistance to decay, especially in
contact with concrete.  If you can duplicate those properties, you
should have similar success with a different mesh.

The latex increases water resistance, but more critically decreases
cracking, which, they said, would severely compromise the water barrier
aspect of a similar roof made without latex.  It's important that the
final composite have the mesh encased in latex concrete inside and
outside, and that the latex concrete be an integrated composite,
connected through the holes in the mesh.  Any tight-weave fabric would
isolate the concrete into separate inside and outside layers, which
would risk delamination.

They mentioned that the shape of the roof was critical to its strength
and stability at small thicknesses.  Domes and vaults might have
similar properties, but they don't claim this approach is good for flat
roofs in the thicknesses mentioned.  Their book has quite a few math
formulas relating to strength and roof shape, for those who like such
things.

I don't remember if the authors comment on the pH of the latex
concrete.  I imagine it would need to be similar to that of regular
concrete.  If the pH drops too far, concrete begins to lose its
properties.

I've wondered how UV will affect the latex component of the matrix (at
the surface).  Based on field experience, it doesn't seem to be a
problem.  Concrete blocks out light pretty thoroughly, and I imagine
that the 3/16" (~5mm) coating that they recommend on the sun side of
the mesh would shield out all the UV (total thickness ~3/8" (9.5mm).

I hope this is helpful, but getting a copy of the book would be much
more enlightening and reliable than my memory of it.

Derek

--On Monday, June 21, 2010 10:45 PM +0200 Andy Horn