[GSBN] embodied energy and sequestration

Bruce King ecobruce at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 7 17:05:41 UTC 2010

I doubt that ANY lime or portland cement-based concrete (PCC) has ever
fully carbonated.  To do so would require grinding the lime or PCC to
a sand consistency and leaving it out in the weather for at least a
year, spread thin so as to have full access to the air.  So, OK, maybe
a few thousand tons, total, in history.  IF you could fully carbonate
such material, then its carbon load consists only of all the fuel used
to mine it, calcine the limestone, haul rocks or cement or wet
concrete around from quarry to kiln to building, i.e., its embodied
energy in the conventional sense.  Which is, I believe, at least half
the carbon load.

To put that differently:  even if you could fully carbonate your lime
plaster or concrete foundations or concrete statues of Dick Cheney,
you would only have decreased the carbon load to the atmosphere by
half.  That fuel was burned, brothers and sisters, and there ain't no
unburning it.  The entire sum of lime and concrete human constructions
-- from Mesopotamia to ancient Rome to New York to Shanghai --
constitutes a whole bunch of carbon emitted;  a net, large climate
changer.  Never by any stretch of the imagination carbon sequestration.

Nor has anyone that I've heard of come anywhere close, and not for
lack of trying, to a large scale replacement for portland cement (or
lime and all the family of scorched rock binders (SRB's)).  We're
stuck with Portland cement for the foreseeable future, so the game, in
the green building view, is to use it sparingly and wisely.  Or,
wherever possible, as Pete points out, use clay as your binder.

Thanks,

Bruce King
(415) 987-7271
the art and science of building well