[GSBN] embodied energy and sequestration

Pete Walker abspw at bath.ac.uk
Fri May 7 14:36:17 UTC 2010

This is indeed correct. Carbonation is the conversion of Calcium Hydroxide
to Calcium Carbonate. Calcium Hydroxide is lime, whereas in cement it is
also the product of the hydration process. none the less it absorbs
atmospheric carbon dioxide and should rightly be considered in any holistic
LCA analysis of above ground/water concrete. cement/concrete does generally
carbonate much more slowly than lime (due to its denser pore structure) and
whilst like lime carbonation is beneficial (for strength) carbonation of
concrete is seen as detrimental because of the pH reduction and subsequent
loss of passive protection for any embedded steel reinforcement. Carbonation
in plain (unreinforced concrete) is also beneficial for its strength
development.

The embodied carbon of modern blended cements and efficient kilns  is
getting closer to that of hydraulic limes. We should specify lime because of
its favourable performance qualities (breathability, flexibility, aesthetics
etc) rather than because of the carbon argument. You can indeed achieve much
lower embodied materials of equivalent strength (if that's your criteria)
using blended cement binders compared to hydraulic lime (simply by using
less cement) because cement is a much stronger binder.

 For a really low embodied CO2 render use clay.

Pete

Prof. Pete Walker,
Director BRE Centre for Innovative Construction Materials,
Dept. Architecture & Civil Engineering,
University of Bath,
Bath BA2 7AY,
UK.