[GSBN] Chasing any fire test info

BuildersWithoutBorders mail at builderswithoutborders.org
Wed Oct 7 21:45:10 UTC 2009

At 01:07 AM 10/5/2009, you wrote:
>...........if anyone has information on fire tests or bushfire tests
>that might be of assistance I
>would greatly appreciate it if you could pass on the details.
>Regards, Brian Hodge
>Anvill

Dear Brian --

As noted by others on this list, the most recent fire testing by
Bruce King's Ecological Building Network is probably the most
definitive to date. But there has also been a fire test with
excellent results accomplished in Germany.  This is shown in the
Ecofilm DVD called Houses of Straw, and perhaps Dirk Scharmer or
Herbert Gruber could point you to these test results on the web.

I have also had good reports from people viewing my video, Straw Bale
Code Testing, which shows a successful 2-hour small-scale fire test
done in New Mexico in 1994.  While this test had some flaws in the
lack of final report, etc., the video does effectively show the
testing process, and how stuccoed straw resists combustion.  Perhaps
the combination of all these existing resources will be helpful and persuasive.

I have copies of the Ecofilm DVD, Houses of Straw, and Straw Bale
Code Testing (in PAL video format), which I could make available and
mail to you at cost if they would be helpful to you.

Sincerely,
Catherine Wanek
Co-director
Builders Without Borders