[GSBN] A question about mold and insurance

Graeme North graeme at ecodesign.co.nz
Sun Oct 4 20:57:17 UTC 2009

HI David -

I've seen many instances of mould (good English spelling that is)  in
timber framed houses, concrete houses, brick houses, and is some
earth brick houses that have dried out a bit slowly when they are
being built.

Singling out strawbale houses is irrational.

I have seen strawbales that have gone rotten and/or mouldy in poorly
designed or constructed leaky s/b houses, but generally the good
insulation value of strawbale walls prevents exterior wall getting
cold enough for condensation to occur on the interior surfaces of
strawbale walls and without moisture condensing , mould will not
start to grow.

As I write it occurs to me that the differentiation needs to be made
between straw in the bales getting wet and rotting - a design and
construction issue, and mould forming on interiors which is an
insulation and ventilation issue.

What is the real concern the insurance co. is expressing?

cheers

Graeme
Graeme North Architects
49 Matthew Road