[GSBN] A nomination from Portugal (and possible host for the ISBBC)

forum at lamaisonenpaille.com forum at lamaisonenpaille.com
Tue Sep 29 23:29:07 UTC 2009

Dear GSBN members,

I want to nominate Jorge Van Krieken from Portugal to this list. I've
been in contact with him for several months now (I give him advice for
his SB build in exchange for him helping me to build a new website). He
is not a SB expert but it seems to me he is a good networker and
(correct me if I'm wrong) we have nobody from Portugal yet. He is
finishing his first SB build (100m² in less than 3 months with 3
persons) and he prepares 3 new SB projects that have sparked from this
one (Jorge communicates a lot).

Over the numerous hours spent on the phone I have become impressed by
his drive and ability to find effective, low-cost and fast solutions. He
is the president of 'Caminho Dinamico', a local non profit association
in Marvão (Portugal). Jorge, is born in Mozambique, 1958, married, 4
children, freelance investigative journalist since more then 20 years
with a big interest in permaculture, low cost strawbale ecobuilding and
sustainability.

'Caminho Dinamico' is a non profit association in Marvão which has a
main focus on sustainable local development solutions (bioconstruction,
permaculture and energy). Marvão is situated in a natural park, just
next to the spanish border.
http://marvao.portalegredigital.pt/candidatura_ingles/

I talked to Jorge about the ISBBC's and how it could fit into the series
of workshops and lectures that 'Caminho Dinamico' wants to organise next
year to train local workers, architects and owner builders.

'Caminho Dinamico' would like to receive information about the
conditions that we need for such an event. 'Caminho Dinamico' intends to
work with the local authorities on this project (as they do on a regular
basis) and as local elections in Portugal are very soon, they can only
tell by mid oct. if they indeed find the back-up they need to organise
such an event. Organising events like seminars and coloquiums used to be
part of Jorge's work and I have the feeling that he is indeed the type
of wheeler and dealer that can pull it off with CASBA's help (and/or
others) to take care of the programme (Jorge would be the 'local
infrastructure man'). I intend to visit Jorge early december.

Proposing somebody that I know only by telepone to organise an ISBBC
might sound very wacky (it does to me) but my gut feeling tells me I should.

Please let me know if :
a Jorge is welcome on the GSBN
b it is conceivable that an outsider like him takes on the chalenge of
organising the ISBBC 2010.
c any other countries propose to host the ISBBC 2010

Bye,

André 'throwing the dog in the henhouse' de Bouter
France