[GSBN] earthquake-proof adobe walls

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Mon Aug 17 19:00:45 UTC 2009

--On Monday, August 17, 2009 12:17 PM +0200 Lorenzo Robles
<lorobles55 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Cane, and bamboo, are available in most places where seismic ativity
is
> a threat, and seems more compatible and efficient than metalic or
> plastic mesh, and is obviously a better ecological option.

One of the things that Marciel Blondet said repeatedly at the Adobe
Conference 2007 was that appropriate cane and bamboo were seldom
available in the areas where he has put his focus.  He is looking at
building or reinforcing tens of thousands of houses, so he would need
lots and lots of cane/bamboo.  Where cane is available, there is the
question of who owns it, under what terms would they sell it, what is
its quality/strength, who will harvest, etc.

Marciel said that this was one of the first materials that they
considered, but that it didn't turn out to be viable in most places
that he was working.  I'm quoting from memory, but I think this is a
pretty accurate summary of why he had moved away from cane/bamboo.

Working at the scale of one house at a time, cane/bamboo would be a
more tractable option.

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center