[GSBN] earthquake-proof adobe walls (GSBN Digest, Vol 16, Issue 11)

Jeff Ruppert jeff at odiseanet.com
Mon Aug 17 18:52:59 UTC 2009

Rob,

My take on it is that the mat (it sounds like the mat is horizontal), or
net, creates a bond because of it's width across the wall.  Any type of
reinforcing in earth construction lacks the same magnitude of bond found
between concrete and steel.  I think because the mat embodies a large
surface area it has a bond with the blocks that develops the necessary
capacity to actually work.  If the tensile forces are built-up one the
edges and concentrated to the face of the wall then the bond to the
masonry elements is reduced.  The nature of bales and earth blocks are
different in that earth is very heavy and actually develops a small bond
with whatever reinforcing you use within it.  The shear weight also
creates more forces in earthquakes and maybe the mats increase friction
between courses, holding things somewhat in-place.

Maybe this acts like the barbed wire in earthbag construction.

That said, reinforcing your plaster will also add capacity and both
should be looked at in any particular design.

Jeff