[GSBN] prefab strawbale

John Glassford jacksflat at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 22:37:22 UTC 2009

G ' day

Just my two bob's worth on the "Pommie" panels.

As some of you know we have developed a prototype tilt-up straw panel
system.  We have now perfected the 150mm thick ones or 6" to you
imperialists.  So we have made them as wide as 300mm and the ones we have
built with are 200mm thick by 2.4 x 1.2 m.

What we are finding is that we can make these panels if required on site.
Our manufacturing plant is highly portable and only needs a small trailer to
shift the unit.

So we can have the raw material, in our case jumbo bales, delivered to the
site along with the other materials required to manufacture the panels.

One day we will get round to doing it for a house.  Although having said
that we need a lot of market research done before we spend any more time and
money on the idea.

The Pommie panels could easily be done on site without all that extra timber
i.e. bales as per usual and I do not like the idea of rendering the panels
before transportation.  They also do not appear to be load bearing.  Lot of
weight to transport when it can all be done on site.

Anyhow progress and it is always good to see others trying new ideas.

They are well made and a step forward to contemporary build in straw bales
and give greater control on quality of finish.

The other John or The Straw Wolf

Kind regards
The Straw Wolf
Huff 'n' Puff Constructions