[GSBN] Straw bale lambda

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Tue Jun 16 15:55:40 UTC 2009

Hi, André,

In my edition of Bruce's book, on page 185, Footnote A, the general
conversion factor is given as 5.678, for converting between metric and
"Murrican" U-values.  Inversely, the conversion factor for R-values is
given as 0.1761.  (Since 5.678 and 0.1761 are inverses, either of these
numbers is sufficient for converting both U-values and R-values in both
directions, if you set up the equation properly).  Bruce's conversion
factor is in agreement (of course) with several web sources, including
Wikipedia on R-value:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-value_(insulation)> (Click on item 1
"Units") in the pages Contents.)

On page 187, Bruce's book gives an R-value of 1.45 per inch for
strawbale.  It goes on to say that the thermal resistivity was found to
be higher for bales stacked on edge than flat.  It doesn't say which
orientation the 1.45 figure refers to.  Using the R-value conversion
constant of 0.1761 from page 185, I set up the equation like this:

(Murrican R-value) 1.45/inch x 0.1761 (Murrican R-value to metric
conversion factor) x 39.37 (inches to meters) = 10.05 (metric R-value
per meter)

1.45 x 0.1761 x 39.37 = 10.05

That seems to confirm Rob Tom's calculation.  Not that I ever doubted
it.

Derek

PS.  I wonder if Graeme North might have transposed two digits in his
message.  5.678 rounds nicely to 5.68, which is in agreement with all
the sources that I looked at.  "5.86" looks like it might be the same
number with the last two digits transposed.

--On Monday, June 15, 2009 8:22 PM +0200 contact at lamaisonenpaille.com