[GSBN] new system of building the straw bale structure

Mark Piepkorn mark at buildinggreen.com
Mon Jun 8 01:37:34 UTC 2009

At 08:53 PM 6/7/2009, Joyce Coppinger wrote:
>concrete columns are poured into the walls as a support system. The
>load bearing is in all of the concrete, Hay said.

This is the way Erem Birkani's BaleBlock system worked. Except he
drilled 4" columns into the bales (two per bale) rather than notching
spaces into bale-ends (which I think is what the article described,
poorly). That this guy has gone forward with this idea indicates to
me that he hasn't done anywhere near an appropriate amount of
homework on using straw bales as a building material.

I also think it's amusing that reduced wood use is given as a green
feature when he's building smack-dab in the middle of a couple
million acres of big, straight pine. That's a lot of locally
available renewable resource. Using trees isn't evil when it's
environmentally reasonable. I do get that he's going for fireproof on
the cheap, but he could achieve the same level of fire resistance
using wood columns instead of concrete.

I'm disappointed in his idea of having a 3,000-square-foot second home, too.

I can get away with saying these things because I'm so very perfect
in every way.

Mark