[GSBN] Plaster Reservoir?

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Mon Jun 1 23:43:00 UTC 2009

A moisture buffer seems important when (a) there is a relatively impermeable
surface behind the cladding that is incapable of storage and/or (b) there is
a great deal of moisture migrating through the wall, like wind-driven rain.
Straw will act as a moisture buffer (storage) in the case of (a), absorbing
moisture and holding it until it can migrate to the outside.  In California,
we've used a rain-screen design as insurance in cases with extreme (coastal)
rain/wind combinations.

Interestingly, only place I've encountered problems (in conventional
buildings) with moisture pumping, has been in San Francisco, where the fog
rolls in in the afternoon, dampens the wall, and then is burned off in the
morning, with the sun striking south facing walls and, potentially, driving
moisture inward.  We see the results, not so much in damage from moisture,
as in popped nails in wood siding.  The frequent expansion/contraction of
the wood works nails loose--so we use screws.

John

John Swearingen

Skillful Means
www.skillful-means.com