[GSBN] SB Fire Fighting Article

Laura Bartels laura at greenweaverinc.com
Mon May 4 02:18:26 UTC 2009

Martin and all,

Last summer I had the privilege to go to Alaska to speak for the
Alaskan Intertribal Council about sustainable housing, and while there
got to spend a day at the Cold Climate Housing Research Center in
Fairbanks (if you ever get a chance to check their website or better,
make a visit, don't pass it up). Of course, I tried to see as many
straw bale houses as I could, and as it turned out, had to chance to
stay in one as well. Every home I saw, but not every home I learned
about, was furred and drywalled on the interior and furred and sided
on the exterior or sheathed and stuccoed with acylic. The home I
stayed in had a vapor barrier directly on the straw, sealed top and
bottom and at joints, steel studs, fiberglass in the cavities (added
after they found convective air movement) and drywall. In talking with
the owner, the main reason for this in likely all the cases was their
short season and lack of knowledge about plastering. He admitted that
he would prefer to go back and plaster now that he knows more.

Fire was certainly on my mind as I toured. The extremes of temperature
and moisture drive seemed to be not affecting the integrity of the
straw in the home I stayed in, as it had a monitoring system.

One home closer to southeast AK had used St. Astier lime. The owner of
that home had built a test structure with moisture monitoring prior to
building his home.

I also know of two homes in my area that are drywalled.

Perhaps this is another area, like parapet walls, that requires a
stronger education campaign.

Best,
Laura

Laura Bartels