[GSBN] SB Fire Fighting Article

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Mon May 4 01:52:55 UTC 2009

G Πday John,

In the article it says - ³The owner . . .said he was soldering in that area
and that there was fire in the wall under the sink.²

So I believe it started from a soldering torch, but I don¹t know what first
ignited (cabinet, drywall paper, straw, wood furring, . .).  My best guess
is that regardless of what ignited initially, the fire was quickly inside
one of the furred-out cavities between the drywall and the bales, and then
shot up to the roof framing where the fire spread and caused the most
damage.

The article does suggest the reason for the cavities (foolish, of course),
which is the owner wanted a smooth, straight drywall finish on the interior,
and installing wood furring strips on the bales to provide attachment for
the drywall seemed sensible.  They didn¹t realize they were creating a fire
hazard.  They of course could have achieved a smooth, straight plaster
finish but they might not have thought this was possible (or was too
expensive).  All of us would consider drywall over straw bale a kind of
blasphemy, but that¹s what they chose to do.

And yes, the observation you mentioned is a flawed one (among others).  My
comment (rebuttal) that I sent to Don Fisher is shown in blue in your e-mail
below.

Thanks.

Martin