[GSBN] Shelter Box and Rotary (was PAKSBAB Shake Table Tests)

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Sun Apr 5 19:53:26 UTC 2009

Thanks very much John.  I was unaware of the Shelter Box organization and
their impressive work getting temporary shelter and other supplies to people
suffering from disasters all over the world.

I'm familiar with the Baluchistan province earthquake last year in Pakistan,
but PAKSBAB, with its limited resources, has not initiated work there.  Only
in the area affected by the 2005 earthquake, in the Northwest Frontier
Province.

Darcey and I certainly see the PAKSBAB houses as excellent permanent shelter
to replace any of the different types of temporary shelters that immediately
follow disasters.  At least in areas where the materials are available and
the climate is conducive to straw bale.  And particularly in developing
regions that are seismically active.

I'm not sure how PAKSBAB might benefit by collaborating with Rotary and/or
Shelter Box (and vice versa), but it's worth exploring.  I'll try to discuss
this with Darcey.  In the meantime, if you could inform Rotary of PAKSAB's
work (the website is a good place to start), they might have some initial
ideas themselves.

Thanks very much for the thoughts, and your continued great work with
Rotary.

Martin