[GSBN] Straw Bale House Fire [and CO2]

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Sat Apr 4 17:47:38 UTC 2009

Derek Roff <derek at unm.edu> wrote:

> [comments re: CO2] not applicable to the scenario that
> we have been discussing, of smoldering straw in a plastered SB wall.
[Captain CO2's explanation <snipped>]

I don't know nuttin' about nuttin' about CO2, liquid or otherwise and what
its effect might be on smouldering straw.

In Captain CO2's army, I'd be Gomer Pyle.

But the thought did occur to me that while smouldering straw isn't
desirable, charred straw may not necessarily be a Bad Thing once the
smouldering has ceased.

In the days before poisoned wood treatments as a means of preserving wood
against microbial attack/subsequent decay, one technique was to char the
portion of the wooden post that would be going into the hostile
environment.

Pull anyone off of the street and mention "Straw bale walls, Man!" to them
and the second thing that is likely to come into their minds is potential
straw rot as a result of moisture exposure.

Assuming that the smouldering straw needs oxygen for the process to
continue (?) and that one would be able to detect that smouldering in the
wall by sniff sensors (our schnozzes), visual sensors (our eyes) or
temperature sensors (touch) then it should simply be a matter of finding
the weaknesses in the air barrier that should have been sealed in the
first place.

And once that has been done, the smouldering should self-extinguish and
the fire will have served the beneficial purpose of identifying/remedying
sloppy air barrier detailing and treating the straw to make it resistant
to microbial attack ?

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom