[GSBN] Straw Bale House Fire

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 3 03:03:37 UTC 2009

I agree entirely with Derek's most recent analysis.

Regarding the newspaper reporting of this fire, I'll pass on another news
report that Don Fisher found.  It continues the idea that the owner using a
torch in the crawl space set the fire. The owner's mother says (through Mark
Piepkorn's e-mail) that her son was not in the crawl space.  That the torch
with malfunctioning valve was left in the crawl space, with flame out but
gas still flowing, until a pilot light or electronic ignition spark from a
nearby water heater flash-ignited the accumulated gas.  (I'd say it's a good
thing her son wasn't in the crawl space at the time, and assume he didn't
know he left a leaking gas canister there.)  All that said, for our purposes
I don't think it matters which of these is correct.

The article from Don does add another interesting and very ironic piece of
information regarding the owner:

Martin,
The guy's house that burned to the ground was a fire fighter. Do you think
we need to get some training out to fire fighters?
Don

Officials:  Firefighter set home ablaze with blowtorch
By Heath Urie
Friday, March 27, 2009

LYONS, Colo. ‹ A home in rural Boulder County burned to the ground Friday
morning after the volunteer firefighter who lives there accidentally ignited
the house with a blowtorch, officials said.

The blaze broke out about 8:30 a.m. at 3955 Conifer Hill Road near the town
of Allenspark.

Boulder County Sheriff¹s Cmdr. Rick Brough said the owner, Erik Akia, was
using a gas blowtorch to try and thaw pipes under the house in a crawl space
when he accidentally caught the building on fire.

Akia¹s wife and four children were inside the house at the time, but escaped
unharmed. Akia and his wife were taken to a hospital in Estes Park because
of possible smoke inhalation, Brough said.

The fire spread quickly through the house, which was constructed of hay
bales and mud, Brough said.  A work shed next to the house also caught fire
and burned to the ground, he said.  Akia won¹t face any charges, according
to the sheriff¹s office.

³It¹s non-criminal, because he set his own property on fire,² Brough said.

Jeff Kolen, a firefighter with the Allenspark Fire Department, confirmed
Akia is a volunteer with the department. He declined to say how long Akia
has been a firefighter.

Kay Lane, who owns property near the site of the fire, said news of the
blaze hit close to home.

³Everybody in an area like that gets so close,² she said.  She said Akia and
his family live in the rural area throughout the year, and that getting
through the mountain roads can be difficult.  ³Usually, we can¹t get into
our cabin this time of year,² she said.

Sheriff¹s officials said snow from Thursday¹s blizzard hampered efforts to
reach the fire.  Snow plows had to be sent in front of firefighters from
Allenspark, Lyons, Indian Peaks and Left Hand Canyon to clear a path to the
blaze, officials said.  It took firefighters 25 minutes to reach the house,
Brough said.