[GSBN] Tall walls and wet clay

Rikki Nitzkin rikkinitzkin at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 2 14:33:55 UTC 2009

>> Laura Bartels:

> On another project, an office building in PA, they have located
> great clay, with little expansiveness, but when sourced, is very wet
> and not easily processed.

How wet is it? In Denmark the people have clay slip delivered directly
on sight. No dry clay is used. Personally, I prefer working with "clay
slip" (clay the consistency of a thick milkshake) to using dry clay.
If it is too thick you can add water and use a hand-held mortar mixer
with a "paint" drill bit to thin it out a bit. If it needs seiving it
is easier to do the thinner the mix. This WILL change the proportion
of sand/straw added to the mix, so make some tests and be sure to be
consistent in the making of the clay slip.

If it wet like modeling clay (humed but solid) it is too dry to mix
well and too wet to disolve easily, so it would be better to dry it
out and pulverize it.

Rikki Jennifer Nitzkin

Self-builder, education and consultation Straw Bale building and Earth
Plaster
rikkinitzkin at earthlink.net
www.geocities.com/rnitzkin
0034 657 33 51 62
Aulás, Lerida (Spain)

Coordinator Spanish Straw Bale Network
www.casasdepaja.org
casasdepaja at yahoo.es

"We have the Right and Responsibility to Create the World we Want to
Live in"