[GSBN] Straw Bale House Fire

BuildersWithoutBorders mail at builderswithoutborders.org
Wed Apr 1 16:25:25 UTC 2009

At 11:06 PM 3/31/2009, Martin Hammer wrote:
>I have to wonder what's wrong with doing nothing to the wall.  That
>is, how could it ignite if you don't give it oxygen?  And
>eventually it will cool to a temperature where ignition is no longer
>a concern, even if it were given oxygen.

Martin (et all)

As David E. shared, the smoldering in a bale wall could go on a long
time, eventually igniting something in the wall that could really take off.

*Another* fire story involved some friends in our region.  They had a
fire in a woodpile outside their house, which they
extinguished.  Then they went off for a two week vacation.  When they
came back, they still smelled smoke, and the strawbale wall was hot
near where the wood pile had been.  Apparently there was enough
oxygen getting in, to keep the smoldering going. So, they ultimately
knocked a hole in the stucco, and pulled out the smoldering
straw.  The hole and stucco were repaired with not too much
trouble.  Lucky, though disturbing for the owners.

However, what other type of building could be on fire for two weeks,
without more serious consequences?

Sincerely,
Catherine Wanek
Co-director