[GSBN] Straw Bale House Fire

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Wed Apr 1 16:45:17 UTC 2009

David's story matches some others that I have heard, and is analogous
to some things that I read years ago, about fires in the giant sawdust
piles that used to exist at sawmills.  Smoldering fires could continue
in these sawdust piles for years.  There was almost no oxygen, but
there was enough to keep little fingers of combustion in the sawdust
smoldering indefinitely, snaking their way through the piles.
Disturbing the piles could cause dangerous flare-ups, just like we see
when strawbale walls are broken open.

There is a story of a fire in a woodpile stacked outside, against a
strawbale wall.  Catherine may remember the details.  The fire was
extinguished, any remaining wood removed.  Something like ten days
later, the owners noticed heat coming from the strawbale wall.  The
fire had smoldered inside the wall for that time period.

All of this tells me that we can't count on bales being
self-extinguishing, even when the plaster is intact.  Sometimes the
fires may go out by themselves, sometimes not.  As others have been
saying, we need to learn how to best fight fires in SB houses.
Knocking down the walls is destructive and unsafe.  Putting lots of
water into the wall is destructive and probably ineffective.  Going for
the hot spots, found via IR measuring devices already described, seems
like a good approach, but we need to learn more about how best to do
that.

I have the beginnings of an idea that I would like to run by everyone
for comment.  I'm thinking about situations like the wall fire that
David described, or the end of Catherine's description, when all the
visible part of the fire is out, and there is time to think and trace
down the remaining hotspots inside the walls.  When the plaster is
intact, the combustion inside a strawbale wall is borderline- just
barely able to sustain itself, if at all.  If we locate a smoldering
hot spot, and pull off the plaster in that area, we let in more oxygen.
It seems to me that this could risk a flare-up of some sort, perhaps
allowing the spread up to the next course or over to the next joint
between bales.  In trying to clear out one smoldering hotspot, we might
spawn another.  Is there a way to extinguish the hotspot before we
remove the plaster?  I think there might be.

What I would like to test, is drilling a small hole in the plaster
right below a hotspot.  Then, using a flexible tube to run a stream of
CO2, or other inert, non-toxic gas, into the wall for a couple of
minutes.  The gas coming out of a compressed gas cylinder becomes very
cold, due to expansion.  I think we could decrease the percentage of
oxygen present in the wall around the hotspot by a very significant
amount.  I suspect that the combination of cold gas and less oxygen
could extinguish the hotspot.  Perhaps we should keep the gas flowing
while we remove the plaster over the hotspot.  This way, instead of
oxygen rushing in, we could have CO2 flowing out through the hole that
we are creating.  I imagine that this would make opening the hotspots
safer, and decrease the chance of fire spreading inside the wall.
Removing all the charred straw from the hotspot would be much safer, if
all the smoldering was extinguished, and it was already cooled below
ignition temperature, before we removed the plaster.

If testing showed that this approach is useful, it would be fairly easy
and inexpensive for every SB homeowner to have a cylinder of CO2 on
site for this purpose.  Perhaps a standard CO2 fire extinguisher could
be made to serve in this process.  What do you think?

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100