[GSBN] Straw Bale House Fire

john rehorn rehorn at frontier.net
Sun Mar 29 17:00:43 UTC 2009

Hi Everyone,

There was a straw bale home fire on Friday near Lyons, Colorado.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_12011181

I'm looking into the circumstances at present.  Sympathies and good
thoughts to the Akia family.

With that said, I believe this can be an educational opportunity for
all concerned.  How did the earthen plastered sb walls perform?  Why
did the owner need to thaw out frozen pipes in March, especially in a
straw bale?  There is also the need to correct erroneous assumptions
regarding fire and sb as quickly and publicly as possible.  As you
all know, one bad story about one straw bale house can overpower a
thousand good ones.

Any information about this unfortunate event is very welcomed.  Also,
if the subject of this house crops up on your internet presence,
please educate the public in a good way.

Thanks,

John

John Rehorn
Executive Director