[GSBN] ground source heat pumps

Tom Hahn tomhahn at econet.org
Wed Mar 18 18:14:18 UTC 2009

Hi everyone - I echo David's considerations, and add one that's
pertinent here in the southwest US...

Low soil moisture content...  Apparently, no matter how temperate the
soil is, if the soil is quite dry (at coil burial/drill depths) then
the heat transfer coefficients with the coil will also be low.  So,
more coil for the same amount of heat transfer potential is
necessary, raising digging/drilling and coil costs.

Generally, I've seen the best locations for geothermal heat pumps are
places that have relatively cool soil temperatures, higher soil
moisture levels, and easy digging/drilling soils.  Of course, all of
that is obviated by a pond that can be used, but "natural" ones
aren't very common here in Arizona, so we haven't been able to try
that.  However, on a consulting project, we discussed integrating a
GSHP coil into a large swimming pool at a resort (though that has its
own environmental impacts...).

Tom