[GSBN] Embodied energy comparisons: SB vs Stick-built

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Mon Feb 16 19:01:48 UTC 2009

Ok, since we've decided that embodied energy is of less or equal
significance as life-cycle energy use, I would suggest that any materials or
forms of construction be evaluated on at least these areas:

   1. Does the material contribute structurally
   2. Does the material contribute thermally (insulation)
   3. Does the material provide thermal storage (mass)
   4. Does the material provide fire safety
   5. Does the material contribute to the local economy
   6. What are the manufacturing environmental costs
   7. What are the transportation and wastage environmental costs
   8. Is the material a by-product, waste-product, or recycled
   9. Is the material bio-degradable, recyclable or land-fill
   10. Is the material toxic in manufacture, use or disposal
   11. What is the expected life-span of the system (resistance to
   environmental damage)

Feel free to add.

John

John Swearingen