[GSBN] Embodied energy comparisons: SB vs Stick-built

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Sun Feb 15 06:19:57 UTC 2009

I'm a bit concerned by what I understood from the summary.  It seems
to say that it is better/greener to build a bigger house, at least
one with more materials, such as straw plus wood frame.  While straw
and wood both contain carbon, I would be surprised if you could get a
2x4 to a job site in an industrialized country without
generating/releasing a lot more carbon into the atmosphere than is
contained in the board.

Another aspect of the calculation should be, "What would have
happened to this material if I hadn't used it in my house?"  The
average 2x4 would still be a tree, which would be much better for the
environment.  Straw is a little harder to pin down, since it is a
by-product of growing grains.  If we compare building with straw to
burning it, building has a great greenness advantage.  If we compare
building to leaving the straw in the field, the difference is much
smaller, and might favor leaving the straw in the field.  In any
case, we know that straw would not live on for another season.

I believe that smaller is better/greener, when it comes to building
design, and a larger perspective may be needed in analyzing the
importance of carbon sequestering.  Have I misunderstood Andrew's
summary?

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek at unm.edu

--On Saturday, February 14, 2009 8:34 PM -0800 John Swearingen

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico