[GSBN] Baling thoughts

john rehorn rehorn at frontier.net
Tue Feb 3 16:06:59 UTC 2009

Hi Mark,

I'm not sure about sugar cane, but am fairly certain that corn stalk
could be baled in a regular baler.  The trick is whether the culm
(thanks for teaching me a new word) can be gathered and folded by the
baler without balling up.  The pickup tines on a baler are about 3/16
of an inch in diameter.  I don't see a real problem, so long as the
baler isn't fed too rapidly.  The gathering forks must pull the culm
into the baling chamber, folding the longer stalks as they do so.
Moisture content would be key.  Too moist is obviously bad, but too
dry could mean that the culm is brittle and wouldn't fold. It would
just break into short pieces.  Your material would only be as wide as
the bale and not make a bale with integrity.

All that said, I think it could work with corn, and maybe with sugar
cane if the culm meets those criteria.  The only reason you haven't
heard of anyone doing this is because there has never been a market
for a bale of corn culm.

John
John Rehorn
Executive Director