[GSBN] Congressional briefing most popular download

Laura Bartels laura at greenweaverinc.com
Sun Jan 11 19:51:06 UTC 2009

Dear GSBN community,

This week I received some very good news from Carol Werner, the
executive director of the Environmental and Energy Study Institute
which was the sponsor of the Congressional Briefing in June. She wrote
to say that "it turns out that we have had more than 1500 unique
visits to our strawbale briefing information since it was posted --
making it the most popular briefing for pulling down information after
a briefing." If you look at the breadth of topics they cover, the
amount of briefings and the kinds of speakers they host, it makes this
really astounding.

In light of this, I want to encourage those in other countries to
consider a similar effort with your federal governments if you haven't
already considered it. With the impacts of the economy and awareness
and efforts around climate change, it's no news to any of you that
placing information about solutions into the right hands now is
critical.

The influence that the briefing has had has reached to federal
agencies, national organizations and non-profits among, obviously,
many individuals. One immediate impact was that the Department of
Interior subsequently funded a Straw Bale Housing Symposium in South
Dakota along with the Intertribal Council on Utility Policy that
several of us presented at. There is now interest from USDA to repeat
the symposium for a wider audience in the same region. That is just
one example, and there are more brewing and in process.

Beyond working with codes which is such a necessary effort, this
experience opened my eyes to the need to work on awareness and support
at the policy level and continue to encourage federal support for
research and housing programs.

Please know that the link has been changed and share it with those who
may benefit. The direct link for the briefing summary and downloads is
now
http://www.eesi.org/062008_Straw-Bale_Construction

I wish you all many blessings for 2009.

Laura