[GSBN] List Etiquette (was:Wasted energies (embodied, new and otherwise)

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Tue Dec 16 05:22:47 UTC 2008

--On Tuesday, December 16, 2008 2:49 AM +0100 martin oehlmann
<moehlmann at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> 2) I agree my question had been a bit long, however I admit I did
> not raised all points, yet wanted to make sure the setting will be
> understood. [snip]

Martin, I think your question was interesting, important,
stimulating, and worthy of lengthy thought and discussion.  I want to
emphasize the value in what Martin, Lars and Rikki have contributed
to this list.  I want to encourage everyone to post valuable
contributions like these.  The length of the primary question and
context explanation is not a problem.  Please tell us all what _you_
have to say (while trimming out most of the old stuff, said by other
people).

I want to be clear on my view, that this list welcomes original
contributions from all members, including lengthy contributions.  I
am very sensitive to the language issue, and I salute the courage and
tenacity of everyone willing to write in their second or third
language.  I believe that the members of this list are supportive of
the challenges faced by everyone forced to learn the chaotic English
language, and tolerant of the inevitable errors.

Rob's criticism and request deals with another affair- trimming the
unnecessary repetition from messages.  Send us all your ideas, all
your thoughts, all your words, but leave out most of those words
written by the other people.  When you choose to include some text
from a previous posting, please trim each quote to the essential
minimum.  That is what Rob, Bill and I are advocating- maximize your
new input, minimize repetition and trim previous messages to maximize
the focus in every quoted text.

Editing the Subject line when the discussion shifts to a new topic is
also very helpful, especially to everyone who searches the archives.

Thank you for contributing,

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center