[GSBN] List Etiquette (was:Wasted energies (embodied, new and otherwise) Re: GSBN Digest, Vol 8, Issue 5)

billc at greenbuilder.com billc at greenbuilder.com
Tue Dec 16 03:05:08 UTC 2008

At 2:49 AM +0100 12/16/08, martin oehlmann wrote:
>Hello Rob (hi all),
>
>hope you had a refreshing sleep.
>
>1) membership in GSBN approx. 11 years for me, about 9 for Lars en
>about 7 for Rikki. I would appreciate more input of new members and
>especially from not English speaking countries. This is a global
>network with different styles, speeds and emotions, different like
>straw-bales are. For me all is very, very well like it is.
>
>2) I agree my question had been a bit long, however I admit I did
>not raised all points, yet wanted to make sure the setting will be
>understood. Did some lobbywork in Europe for a few years.

I believe you've misunderstood Rob's point, possibly in part to his
not being particularly clear at the outset about stating it, due to
his grumpy mood.

He is correct in requesting that each of us follow the basic rule of
trimming our replies to include ONLY the portions of the previous
posts needed to establish context for our replies.   We're all on
this list, and we all should have already seen (and hopefully read)
the previous posts, so there is no point in including the entire
previous conversation thread.  This practice is especially of benefit
to those who are on the digest version of this list - they often have
to wade through endless repetitions of the same posts in order to
find the new replies.

Those of us who have been on countless lists for years should already
be aware of this request, which is usually included in the general
rules for most lists.  Please take this as a remider.  As Rob later
puts it:

>>So dear Listmembers, just to be perfectly clear:
>>
>>     "Please learn how to edit your replies to this and other email
>>lists and then make
>>      an effort to put that learning into practise each and every
>>time you send an email."

We now return to our normal work to save the world.

--
Bill Christensen
billc at greenbuilder.com