[GSBN] Save the Faro-expo zaragoza 2008

Rikki Nitzkin rikkinitzkin at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 15 12:44:19 UTC 2008

Hello,

As is usual in World Expos, they are planning the destruction of the
Faro (the Pavillion made of Straw Bales and Clay). A group of citizens
is trying to gain public support to avoid the demolition of the
building prefering to save it as an example of eco-construction. If
anyone is interested in signing a petition to help save it, or would
like to help out in any way the text of the letter being signed is the
following  (translation with Babelfish):

::. .NO TO THE DEMOLITION OF THE LIGHT.::

A.A.: “To all the people who live in the house earth”

MANIFESTO.

Friday day 5 of December of year 2008, I called to masterful Spanish
architect D. Antonio Lamela Dr. with prestigious reputation beyond our
borders to even request its opinion to him with respect to the
imminent demolition of the building the LIGHT, the conversation was in
interesting end and it gave permission me to make it public; it said
to me:

-. “. Ricardo I hope that it does not bother to you what I am going to
you to say by the exaggerated thing that can seem, but is that it is
it; due to its tremendous originality and singularity, to throw this
building would suppose a similar barbarism to demolish anyone of the
cathedrals of Spain or the same Stone quarry, Spain would have to feel
proud to have a building thus ”.

It must consider that the LIGHT is an absolutely revolutionary
building in the field of the architecture since it creates positive
Ecological Track with a retention of more than 800 tons of CO2 in his
service life and with an efficiency energetics based on the water, the
wind and the natural materials are far better that any present
building for their air conditioning.
. that it has been the building that has more liked the children and
that greater interest has waked up with 1.000.000 of visits and
articles in press describing it as taking of brings back to
consciousness
. that it represents in front of the World, not only to the Expo. of
Saragossa, but also to the NGOs and the citizenship and consultation
nor informed into its demolition to this important sector has
generally not been made.
. that the cost of execution in project was 3.700.000 € .y that
whichever major is their time of greater life it will be his
amortization.
. .que its restoration is possible since the unique thing that it does
not work is the mud covering causes of a bad work execution.
. .que is designed respectively to resist the swellings of the Ebro of
5 years when having stone socle and protection of the wood structure
until 1,50m and 0,70m over the swelling level.

That the project is the result of an incredible professional equipment
formed with technicians of first order at world-wide level, hardly
repeatable by the recent death of some of them like Fernando Fig trees

. and that is a building made to foment the debate and the encounter
between citizenship and NGOs of the world, and we were in a while in
that this is necessary

Really, after studying and meditating the subject, fodder that to
demolish it without consulting its potential users is a serious error.

Reason why I solicit generally considers the will of the citizens and
the town, in addition it is what Mr. Alcalde de Saragossa D.Juan
Alberto Belloc in the presentation of the building said before mass
media:

-. “ This building will stay if the citizenship wants. ”

Ricardo Cardinal red Fig trees
(architect author of the project)
Monday 8 of December 2008

[...]

It can be signed at:
https://www.firmasonline.com/1Firmas/firmcsinNew.asp?C=2031

There is a blog with more information:
http://nodemolicionfaro.blogspot.com/

If anyone wishes to talk directly with the architect his adress is in
the "CC" above.

Rikki Jennifer Nitzkin
rikkinitzkin at earthlink.net
0034 657 33 51 62
Aulás, Lleida

"Tenemos el Derecho y la Responsabilidad de Crear el Mundo en que
Queremos Vivir"