[GSBN] Cellulose in unvented roof

John Swearingen john.skillfulmeans at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 23:44:31 UTC 2008

We've been encountering this issue also, due to the new fire-safe
regulations which discourage eve vents.  My understanding is that 1/4" mesh
may be acceptable.  This is, however, Sonoma County, where they tend to
re-invent the wheel as an octagon.  There are some details which have been
proposed using baffle systems to break the force of the wind-driven embers
and let them fall harmlessly to a metal pan.  A commercial system that might
be accepted is: http://brandguardvents.com/index.html

We've had dense, wet-blown cellulose permitted, as you have, in a variety of
jurisdictions. Isn't there good data on dense cellulose to make a case?  We
presented that in Los Altos several years ago with success. As a more
expensive alternative, soy foam insulation would probably be permitted in
Sonoma.

All the best,
John

John Swearingen