[GSBN] Quality of water with lime plasters

Andy andy at ecodesignarchitects.co.za
Fri Sep 16 09:59:57 UTC 2022

Hi all you lovely muddies and bale-heads

I have a question for all of you out there with intimate knowledge of lime plasters.

My questions are with regard the quality of water used when making  a lime wash or lime plaster.

Typically with cement plasters one specifies the use of clean water.

In the case of lime sand plasters however I have been wondering about the quality of water that one specifies and if there are subtle differences in what one uses for one's water.

1) So the water is heavily / typically chlorinated, how or does this positively or negatively affect the quality of the lime plaster / lime wash?

2) would it perhaps be advisable if using tap water to allow the water to first stand for 24 hours or 48 hours first in order for the chlorine to evaporate off first?

3) Can one use rainwater ...as rainwater is slightly acidic while lime is alkaline ...so how or will this negatively or positively influence the quality of ones lime plaster?

4) I have heard it said that with cement and I would assume the same would apply to lime plaster, that if one can use a "structured water" i.e. a fresh clean source of spring or stream water ..that one will get a superior quality of lime plaster. 🤔

I look forward to your response.

In addition I should add:

I realise that if one can get hold of Prickly pear leaf - also called Nopal in Mexico, where I saw it used  - then using the mucous of the nopal where the leaf has been dissolved in water to form a mucous liquid rather than plain water is way better.

However, this ingredient is not always available.

I have also been using a mix of what is called "clay water " rather than pure water with my plasters and is a recipe I learnt from an old builder whose grandfather had taught him the recipe.

In this case a clay bearing soil -which would typically be the same clay soil that one would be plastering over is left to soak with water overnight. Then before taking ones "clay water" the water is agitated so that the clay is drawn up into suspension and that dirty water is then scooped off to use for one's mix. The mix I was taught is:

-  1 & 1/5 parts clay water

- 1 & 1/5 parts  fresh cow dung

- 1 parts hydrated lime

- 4 parts plaster sand

The mix is covered and left to brew overnight before use.

I have however found the mix - especially in the beginning before it has had time to properly cure -  can be a bit soft and so I have started playing around with the recipe and using a

-  1 part clay water

- 1 part fresh cow dung

- 1 part hydrated lime

- 3 parts plaster sand

I am interested to hear peoples comments:
warm regards from down South
Andy Horn

Andy Email Sign