[GSBN] [Gsbn] Fwd: Strength parameters for earthen slabs ?

douglas nichols douglasnichols at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 24 15:37:46 UTC 2020

Hi Lars

I'm a builder in this jurisdiction who builds straw homes with earthen slabs.  I'm not quite understanding the basis of their question.  The exterior of the home will have some sort of perimeter foundation I assume.  You can get all the required "wind resistance" to be absorbed by that perimeter foundation.  For instance, in the U.S. IRC code, when a floor is framed out of wood we (typically) do not address the floor as resisting these types of forces.  Another method I employ, besides the interior strip footings, is X-bracing on the exterior walls for the shear bracing. So far, I like adjustable cable X's on each wall the best.  I am also doing a lot of straw cell where the house is framed with wood and straw is placed on the inside of the frame, and again the flooring material does not become engineering concern.  Let me know if you need more details on what I'm doing.

Cheers
Doug Nichols

Creating Energy Efficient Homes Since 1995

Nichols Contracting LLC
821 S. 400 E.
Moab, Utah 84532
Cell #970.683.1517