[Gsbn] Fwd: Strength parameters for earthen slabs ?

Global Straw Building Network gsbn at sustainablesources.com
Thu Jan 23 05:52:20 UTC 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Lars Keller <larskeller at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 6:09 AM
Subject: Strength parameters for earthen slabs ?
To: Global Straw Building Network (private, with public archives) <
GSBN at sustainablesources.com>

*Help wanted regarding strength parameters for earthen slabs.*

We are trying to get permission for a family house where instead of a
concrete slab we will use a local product consisting of 0-8mm sand
particles with clay.

We have used it in many buildings, it works, but we have never documented
it officially.

I have asked the engineer what exactly he needs to sign this off in a legal
manner.

Can anyone help ?
*Best, *Lars Keller

PS: here is a link to the analysis of the earthproduct we use:

https://smallplanetdk-my.sharepoint.com/:b:/g/personal/kontakt_smallplanet_dk/Eek52hjfts5GsgBu7gU4PBYBGfg4JE9r8T7RHoxcsuqyhw?e=5etIzb

- - -

Earthen floors

A single-family house is designed where the usual concrete slab is replaced
with an earthen (clay) floor laid on top of a layer of crushed seashells
used as insulation. Our main issue is how well this earthen floor can be
used to transfer horizontal wind forces, as these are usually transferred
by a concrete slab.

Regarding this we have a couple of questions:

What strength parameters do we have for these kinds of floors? -  Such as
the characteristic compressive strength, Youngs’ modulus etc.

Can the earthen floor slab be assumed to work as a diaphragm like a
concrete slab, or is it unable to transfer horizontal forces?

We have provided a sketch of what we mean by the horizontal wind being
transferred through the slab

If you have any questions or there are any unclarity in our questions,
please call at 40138786.

Med venlig hilsen / Kind Regards

Jakob Keller
ingeniør MMT, bygherrerådgiver og medindehaver

*E: **jk at rbas.dk* <jk at rbas.dk>
*M: +45 2297 7222*

*[image: Emailsignatur med tekst-ny]*

Se vores hjemmeside på www.reeholm-bredahl.dk

For beskrivelse af vores behandling af persondata henvises til vores
hjemmeside <https://www.reeholm-bredahl.dk/persondata/>

--
Small Planet smba
En sundere, smukkere og mere robust fremtid - sammen.

T:  20240505
M: kontakt at smallplanet.dk
W: www.smallplanet.dk
CVR 34725403

Friland 12B
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/Friland+12B+8410+R%C3%B8nde+Danmark?entry=gmail&source=g>
8410 Rønde
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/Friland+12B+8410+R%C3%B8nde+Danmark?entry=gmail&source=g>
Danmark
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/Friland+12B+8410+R%C3%B8nde+Danmark?entry=gmail&source=g>
*Kontakt-info*
skype
jomorandin
lars.friland
jomorandin at gmail.com
larskeller at gmail.com
Home +45 8668 0505
Jo      +45 2390 0924 (mobile/handy)
Lars   +45 2024 0505 (mobile/handy)

Jo Morandin, Jamilla, Asger & Lars Keller
Friland 12 B
8410 Rønde
Danmark
---