[GSBN] Fire rating for unplastered straw

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Wed Jun 5 14:26:19 UTC 2019

‘Art project’ can mean many things, including artistically burning down a house, I suppose.  An unplastered straw wall would show high variability in its reaction to fire, depending on the density of the bales, moisture content, the surface features of the bales (trimmed, shaved, etc), whether gaps in the wall are stuffed, and how tightly, whether the bales are on edge or flat, the species used in the bales (wheat, oats, rice, etc), how and at what height on the wall the fire was ignited, and many other factors.

I’d love to hear more about the intended art project.  I would expect any interior fire to produce plenty of smoke and toxic gasses.

Derek

Derek Roff
derek at unm.edu