[GSBN] Heat storage capacity of wall systems. Hempcrete and Decrement Delay

John Straube jfstraube at gmail.com
Fri May 3 15:11:12 UTC 2019

There is a lot more “known” about this than is hinted at in the many interesting comments.
Heat capacity is one thing. The adsorption and desorption of water vapor from cellulose/straw/hempkrete is another.
The thermal conductivity (R-value) is another.
The reason the metrics like the decrement and phase shift have not been a focus in in the last decade or two is that we have much better and more accurate tools that use hourly (or minute by minute) computer models that account for all of those factors and more (eg vapor permeance, capillary conduction, evaporation and condensation)
WUFI is one such program that I have a lot of trust in, as we have compared its results to both laboratory and field test. We have measured temperature and RH (and heat flow to a lesser extent) of walls made of straw bale (in the field, in Canada and California) and cellulose (numerous locations) and been able to predict and understand performance using WUFI once the proper material properties (see above) and environmental conditions (hourly temperature, sun humidity wind rain) were input.

What we did not do was to try use these models to predict the thermal and hygric mass benefits to comfort or energy use in buildings. Partly because it rarely matters compared to other features and partly because there are so many variations of building exposure, operating cycles and comfort demands as to make generalizations difficulty.

I do know, for sure, that a well insulated building that is airtight and has not too many but excellent quality windows uses little space conditioning energy and provides great comfort and resiliency.
In hot weather, insulation is less important, airtightness remains so, and excellent shading are the key features.  Thermal mass helps during cold weather, and helps during warm weather and is really really helpful in hot dry climates where is gets very warm during the day and quite cool at night.

But I dont think we need to look to magic, or assume poorly understood science to understand our experiences and practical good performance. We may be missing some material properties, and we certainly are missing detailed and proper studies and measurements of building performance. But I dont think that claiming that natural materials have special properties is that useful to getting them used more widely. I can always use more fiberglass to get the same performance as cellulose. Or use phase change salts in drywall inside a building to get high thermal mass behaviour. The real  questions are more like: to meet a certain performance level, can I use an 18” straw bale instead of 24” of fibreglass? Can I use 16” of hempcrete to equal that 18” strawbale?   This was closer to what Lars asked originally. I dont know those answers, but I think we could get close to answering them by doing good studies with what we know already.  But in the extreme we do know the answers: if you build a straw bale wall and then use a lot of west-facing double glazed windows with little shading in Denmark, it will overheat in summer, and no realistic amount of thermal mass will help. the answer lies not in the material properties of the opaque wall, but the design of the building for the climate and occupancy.

john

> On May 3, 2019, at 04:50, <asbn at baubiologie.at> <asbn at baubiologie.at> wrote:
>
> Dear Lars
>
> What an interesting discussion. I followed only partly, but some of the comments and analyses are really great for me, too.
> E.g. I never calculated the water in natural fibres as main heat storage capacity, as mentioned by Barbara.
>
> I just want to additionally mention, that the temperature differences between straw bale houses (or those insulated with cellulose) are not just an effect of the heat storage capacity due to higher masses and water content, this is also (and I would say mainly) the effect of the moisture-storage capacity of clay plasters and the cooling effect due to evaporation, when outside or indoor temperatures rise.
>
> Liebe Grüße / kind regards
> Herbert
>
> asbn – austrian straw bale network
>
> ESBA – European Straw Building Association

>>> skype
>>> jomorandin