[GSBN] Reference projects for big scale traffic noise barriers.

David Arkin, AIA david at arkintilt.com
Thu Mar 21 15:26:25 UTC 2019

Hello Lars, All:

You’re right on with your suggestions for ‘good boots’ (dry foundation) and a ‘good hat’ (healthy roof).

Massey Burke and I helped the Solar Living Center in Hopland, CA create a sound wall along Hwy. 101.  It features gabions (wire cages filled with rocks) for a foundation, and corrugated metal roofing panels for a roof.  In plan the wall has a small wave to it, which gives it strength.  You can see the undulations in the attached photograph; captured at the right time of day this adds a bit of interest with the play of shadows.

The finish on this wall is a hand-applied stabilized earth (aka PISE) mix, which then cracked and was patched, for an interesting but in my opinion less than optimal look.  Nonetheless, it’s been in service for over 10 years now.  The gabions help it deal with potential flooding at the site, keeping the bales well above the highest potential water line.  This project was permitted and approved by Mendocino County, the local AHJ, and FEMA, the federal flood authority.

Best,

David Arkin / CASBA

> On Mar 21, 2019, at 5:41 AM, Lars Keller <larskeller at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I have been contacted by an architect who is researching whether to use straw in a 900m long and 5meter tall noice barrier next to a road.
> Provided there is a dry foundation and a healthy roof i think great yes.
>
> The architect would love to see, that it has already been done somewhere else in the world.
>
> I think its been dony many places.
> Can anyone guide me to a good reference project ?
>
> Best, Lars Keller
>
> --
> --
> Small Planet
> Om vores firma ~ link
> Om vores masseovne ~ link
> Om vores workshops ~ link
> Kontakt-info
> skype
> jomorandin
> lars.friland
> jomorandin at gmail.com <mailto:jomorandin at gmail.com>
> larskeller at gmail.com <mailto:larskeller at gmail.com>
>
> Home +45 8668 0505
> Jo      +45 2390 0924 (mobile/handy)
> Lars   +45 2024 0505 (mobile/handy)
>
> Jo Morandin, Jamilla, Asger & Lars Keller
> Friland 12 B
> 8410 Rønde
> Danmark
> ---

*  *  *  *  *
Arkin Tilt Architects
Ecological Planning & Design

Please Support my 2019 Climate Ride California Central Coast, June 12-16, with a fundraising goal of $3,000 to support Carbon Smart Materials including Straw
https://support.climateride.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.participant&participantID=6586
Thank you!

David Arkin, AIA, Architect
LEED Accredited Professional
CA #C22459/NV #5030

1101 8th St. #180, Berkeley, CA  94710
510/528-9830 ext. 202
www.arkintilt.com

"There is no way to peace. Peace is the way."
— A. J. Muste