[GSBN] Sharing thoughts on pros and cons of using straw as a building material.

John Glassford jacksflat at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 20:52:01 UTC 2018

Morning Lars

We are at the start of a drought here down under especially the Eastern
States of Queensland and New South Wales.

Straw is still available and we look forward to the next harvest in
November.

Victoria will have straw bales.  Plenty to meet the needs of our
"fledgling" industry of straw bale building.

#1 Benefit for using straw here in Australia is that a vast amount of straw
is burnt each and every year.  Almost a million tonnes just from rice straw.

#2 Benefit straw consumes a fraction of the energy that goes into making
bricks and concrete blocks.

#3 Benefit we have now built in areas of very high bush fire attack levels,
not many products on the market today can equal straw bale.

#4 Benefit comes back to cost and even in the drought it is still more
economical than bricks or weatherboard.

I have no arguments in the opposite!

Say G' day to Jo!

The Straw Wolf