[GSBN] Fire case studies

Rene Dalmeijer rdalmeij at mac.com
Tue May 29 18:49:50 UTC 2018

I can vaguely remember that I reported on a small SB fire here. The building involved was built by the Dutch pioneers Martin Oehlmann and Harald Wedig. I will try and look it up. The fire told us basic but very useful lessons:

1) Never pass a smoke stack directly through inflammable materials
2) Stuff cracks between bales meticulously these are potential fire paths
3) Don’t allow unexperienced people to use a fire place/ hearth without instruction, particularly regarding the dangers of overcharging

We just had a catastrophic SB fire here this February which completely destroyed one of the most impressive SB houses. At present the causes of the fire and complete destruction of the house are unclear and maybe will never be determined. At present I don’t want to speculate further but what is clear, as nearly all SB fires show, the first stages of the fire are slow smouldering and even allowed the owners to safely evacuate from the house including some of their personal property

Basking in the reclaimed swamp at the mouth of the Rhine keeping his bales cool
Rene Dalmeijer