[GSBN] Sound transmission through s/able walls

ejgeorge at riseup.net ejgeorge at riseup.net
Wed Oct 21 02:39:38 UTC 2015

ch 8 of Bruce King (et al)'s Design of Straw Bale Buildings (with Rene'
Dalmeijer) covers acoustics and references several tests from  1995-2003
suggesting very good but not soundproof performance:

Straw bale wall with ~ 1 inch of plaster per side rated a Sound
Transmission Class of ~ 55;
an STC of 50 is listed as some very loud sounds can be faintly heard and
STC of 60 or higher is considered essentially soundproof.

I think most people find them pretty quiet - have they visited/stayed in
any to get an idea?

One question is
Are they looking to build with strawbale for the primary purpose of
having it provide a soundproof/nearly soundproof house? In which case
other building methods might provide equivalent or better acoustic
control, possibly more affordably.
or
Are they looking to build with strawbale for primarily other reasons and
are worried that it won't quite be up to their ideal level of acoustics
as well? In which case they might consult with an acoustical engineer on
ways to improve in any room(s) they feel it is particularly crucial.

Good luck!

ej