[GSBN] bale wall sound transmission

Bob Theis bob at bobtheis.net
Tue Oct 13 20:41:17 UTC 2015

Hello All,

I am wading through the Code requirements for four small row houses with straw bale walls between them.  We have the required fire rating tests in hand, but lack a test demonstrating the walls have an averaged  minimum sound transmission coefficient ( STC )  of 50.

Arkin/Tilt sponsored a test for a project of theirs, and were surprised when the test wall didn't quite meet the minimum STC.

Who'd'a thought a bale wall would not be isolative enough??

Does anyone know of other tests we can submit?

 Thanks,

Bob Theis