[GSBN] R value export straw blocks?

Rene Dalmeijer rene.dalmeijer at hetnet.nl
Tue Feb 3 21:21:00 UTC 2015

John and others,

One of the issues I might have missed in this discussion is the effect of convection in specifically walls in fibrous insulation materials. This effect is common to all open cell and fibrous insulation materials with increasing importance with increasing insulation thickness, an effect that is not accounted for in the thin specimen hot box tests.

I am sure the increase in insulation value found with higher densities (to a certain limit) is due to the increased resistance to convection. Where convection is a function of the density (air resistance) temperature differential, thickness and height of wall, ie meaning there is no single optimal density value. I would be nice to find the relative effects of the various factors including moisture but this would mean a very extensive amount of measurements.

Pondering an optimal basking time in the reclaimed swamp at an old branch of the Rhine
Rene Dalmeijer