[GSBN] R value export straw blocks?

Graeme North graeme at ecodesign.co.nz
Tue Jan 27 18:23:58 UTC 2015

Indeed - Enga has echoed some of my thoughts

Are we chasing rainbows?

Just about ANY strawbale wall will give higher R values than just about anything else in the natural building world. The science is one thing,  and really reaslly good to know, so once again I give my thanks to those who persue this, but the practical application of a readily obtainable, and variable natural material is another.

Talk of re-compressing bales, hammer milling straw etc, all head in the direction of energy dense manufacturered materials. This may have some use in making thinner prefab walls but moves away from owner built houses where so much of the true joy and affordability that building houses can come from.

For my 2c worth, If there was one bit of research I would love to see in s/b is an external rain-screen that can be incorporated simply and reliably into/onto an external plaster system that will keep straw and any penetrations in that system, well and truely protected from wind-driven rain.  In ohter word a hwol assembly that really works

Graeme