[GSBN] Cordwood Walls

Min Hall minhall at xnet.co.nz
Wed Jan 7 20:55:14 UTC 2015

Hi Tom - A number of cordwood houses have been built in Golden Bay in NZ's
South Island. Reasonably high humidity here, 2000mm rain and cold
temperatures in winter. They are plastered both sides and a pumice mortar
was used for laying up the walls to help with the insulation. I do not know
of any testing done but they perform better than my initial scepticism
foretold. Timber is pinus radiata.

I'm not a great fan but I think the pumice rich mortar is a good idea and
certainly helps.

Cheers

Min