[GSBN] Cordwood Walls

Tom Woolley tom.woolley at btconnect.com
Wed Jan 7 16:54:53 UTC 2015

We have  been asked to advise on building a cordwood building in Northern Ireland

The site is in the Sperrin Mountains which has nearly 100% RH all year round
average rainfall is well over 1000mm per annum though I am surprised it is not higher

There are two issues
The building will need to meet reasonably high insulation standards under the building regulations
I have found articles claiming that cordwood gives good insulation but I find this hard to accept

Log cabins on the west side of Ireland rot in a few years where the end grain is exposed but maybe cordwood would do better?

What is the best timber to use ?  Oak is indigenous here but not available commercially

Any help much appreciated

thanks and Happy New Year

Tom

Tom Woolley