[GSBN] data loggers

Jim Carfrae jim.carfrae at plymouth.ac.uk
Mon Dec 8 16:23:48 UTC 2014

Hi Martin
I am hoping to publish the research, which means that I'm afraid that can't share any details until after publication.

There was nothing too surprising in the research, apart from one section of wall that got drenched by rain before rendering. The client decided not to replace the bales, and I recorded moisture content of over 36% in a couple of the bales (the limit of the probe).
The rendering went ahead soon after that and I continued to monitor the wall. I was surprised that the elevated moisture stayed for over 6 months, but has dried back now. Despite being at levels well over the accepted maximum for such a long time, the straw shows no signs of degradation. This accords with other buildings that I've investigated – generally the lime render seems to retard mould growth, and this combined with the lack of oxygen is what saves the straw (I think!)

Regards

Jim

Dr Jim Carfrae
Environmental Building Group
Room 302 Roland Levinsky Building
School of Architecture, Design and the Environment
Plymouth University
Drake Circus PL4 8AA
UK
07880551922