[GSBN] Off topic question about water filtration

Art Ludwig/ Oasis oasis at oasisdesign.net
Mon Dec 8 03:58:07 UTC 2014

Chris,

I'd suggest inexpensive, whole-house carbon for chlorine-free showers, etc., then expensive r/o for drinking only. Note that the preferred membrane filter for r/o is different for Cl-free water vs Cl-containing water.

~~~~~~~~~

BTW, I like making a cascade of uses with the r/o drain water (4 gallons for every gallon of drinking water; often a few thousand gallons a year.

 For example, we've used it to top off a700 gallon covered redwood cold plunge (=eco swimming pool, emergency water), the overflow from which went down a fountain that made a nice sound (no pump needed…the hotter it is the more you drink and the more it drips), then a small pool for birds and wildlife, which overflows to irrigate fruit trees. Use mosquito fish in the cold plunge and pool.

The r/o drain water ("clearwater") can be easily moved through 1/4" tubing to a pool quite some distance away. Last one of these I did (in Spain) we ran the water 100' to a join spring, well, rooftop and road runoff in a 365 m3 stone cistern for swimming and irrigation. We used the clearwater line to feed a level indicator that showed the 4 meters variation in water depth between full and empty with 1mm accuracy--you could see one bucket of water change the level of a square pool 10x10 meters in extent.

Art