[GSBN] Plaster detail at Bale/Plywood Interface

douglas nichols douglasnichols at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 18 03:31:34 UTC 2014

Hi Ian
I've come upon this similar tie in when attaching gable trusses with a tall energy heel.  Sheeting over wood bond beam up onto the  truss heel with continuous ply makes for a very strong connection (sheer and uplift) and I have not had to do any special crack protection.  That being said, proper straw bale to wood plaster techniques are crucial.  My process is:  fill any gap between wood bond beam and straw bales with straw clay,  next 2 ply stucco paper over the sheeting (slip plane is a must I feel in these large exterior sheeting / plaster scenarios), 6 inch lap of lathing onto straw (if your not lathing entire building),  and continuous slip coat from straw to lathing.  I use wet clay slip pushed into the bales and then add straw (lots of it)  to the clay to go over the prepped area this gives a very similar monolithic substrate (with high tensile strength from all the straw) for the next plaster layers.  You can always bed some big pieces of fiberglass mesh (or other type) in the brown or finish coat (I've started doing this at all corners of openings to reduce cracking).  Out of curiosity how will deal with overhang?  Will the top cord of the truss run long?

Doug NicholsNatural Building InstructorCommunity RebuildsMoab Utahwww.communtityrebuilds.org